McAllen, Texas, April 2019 — Sylvan Learning of the Rio Grande Valley’s partnership with FIRST RGV will offer students the ability to become leaders and innovators in science and technology, as well as any academic subject.
Sylvan Learning, the largest provider of STEM programs in North America, has forged a partnership with the Valley’s fastest growing STEM organization, FIRST RGV, to enhance the Valley’s youth in grades K-12.
Sylvan Learning’s ability to build academic confidence, ignite intellectual curiosity and inspire a love for learning, in conjunction with FIRST RGV’s advanced STEM technology, will ensure the engagement of students in fun STEM programs, as well as academic programs, thus becoming our well-rounded leaders of tomorrow.
The partnership will incorporate STEM courses that will allow students to learn about robotics, coding, engineering, and teamwork, among other core values. The plan is to help build new robotics teams comprised of students who do not have access to STEM related courses in their daily life. And mutually, help students with Sylvan academic programs, such as Homework Support, Reading, Writing, and Math Edge.
Through Sylvan Learning, RGV and FIRST RGV’s partnership, students will benefit from:
- Expert, certified teachers working along side FIRST trained / experienced mentors
- Personal and adaptive academic learning plans
- Learning from leading curriculum that aligns with state/regional, college and career readiness standards
- Programming and coding skills
- Soft Skills, such as public speaking, conflict resolution, and emotional learning
- Business planning
- Principals of engineering and the understanding of the build process
- Social media and marketing fundamentals
- Team building and the importance of working as a team
Sylvan Learning RGV and FIRST RGV will use a combined 44 years of experience of helping millions of students succeed to make sure children master their academic and STEM skills.